[Parentsgroup-list] Discussion on mentoring in the sciences, for grad students and postdocs Dec 13

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 4 10:07:37 EST 2007

I expect this is of particular importance for women scientists with childre=
n. =

--Christine  (By the way, UC-Berkeley apparently has one of the most
family-friendly campuses in the country, so this guy might be extra good wi=
th
his advice for parents)

-------------------------------

>"Of Canaries and Choirs: A Primer for Establishing Mentoring Relationships
>and Fostering Inclusion in the Sciences"
>Thursday, December 13, 2007
>12:00-1:30pm
>Maxwell Dworkin Room 119
>33 Oxford Street
>Cambridge, MA
>
>John Matsui, PhD
>University of California Berkeley
>Director of Biology Scholars Program
>
>Join Dr. John Matsui at this informative and practical discussion on the
>topic of mentoring in the sciences. Dr. Matsui will discuss his
>considerable experience helping undergraduate students, graduate students,
>and postdoctoral fellows develop mentoring networks in a diverse
>scientific community, focusing particularly on issues such as establishing
>mentoring relationships, the mentoring process and how effective and more
>inclusive mentoring practices at all stages of the scientific training
>pipeline is critical to the scientific enterprise. Dr. Matsui is a
>professor of molecular and cellular biology at UC Berkeley and is the
>Director of the renowned Biology Scholars Program, which was honored with
>the prestigious White House Presidential Award for Excellence in Science,
>Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring in 1998.
>
>Lunch will be provided.  Capacity is limited, so please RSVP straight away
>with Adrian Hoquee (adrian_hoquee at harvard.edu).
>
>Sponsored by: The Office of Faculty Development & Diversity and the Office
>of Postdoctoral Affairs
>
>Gregory A. Llacer
>Director, <http://postdoc.harvard.edu/>Harvard University Office for
>Postdoctoral Affairs
>Director, <http://prise.harvard.edu/>Harvard College Program for Research
>in Science and Engineering (PRISE)
>
>Holyoke Center 749
>1350 Massachusetts Avenue
>Cambridge, MA  02138
>617.384-7995 (phone) / 617.384-7996 (fax)

Laura S. Malisheski, Ph.D.
Assistant Director, GSAS Student and Ph.D. Advising
Office of Career Services
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Harvard University
54 Dunster St.