[Parentsgroup-list] dealing with lead

Joy Geren joygeren at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 14:33:33 EST 2007

My family is in a Holden Green 2-bedroom. I also had to sign a lead waiver
and was extremely concerned about this so I talked to the housing office at
length before leasing and they assured me that the interior is completely
deleaded but there may be lead in some of the exterior paint. Of course I
don't know if all Holden Green apartments have been deleaded inside.

Is anyone else in Holden Green? I have been very worried about the outside
basement entries. The toddlers and preschoolers love to climb on the sloping
doors and the paint is peeling quite badly. If anyone has checked into
whether these have been deleaded I would like to know.

Best,
Joy

On Dec 1, 2007 8:15 AM, Irene Newton <irene.newton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not all Harvard properties are:  in my apt. in Holden Green, we had to
> sign a form saying we were advised of the lead - this was before the
> baby. also, all of the undergraduate dormitories are leaded.
> Apparently, Harvard doesn't have to tell the students or their parents
> because they don't have kitchens in their suites.  However, if you
> didn't have to sign a disclosure form in Peabody Terrace, then it's
> deleaded - Harvard definitely watches their back.
>
> On 11/29/07, Miriam Shakow <shakow at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> >

> >  Peabody Terrace is completely de-leaded. All Harvard properties are,
> I'm
> > pretty sure, and the ones intended for families definitely are.
> >  Miriam Shakow
> >

> >  On 11/29/07 8:55 PM, Warigia Bowman wrote:
> >
> > Ok you guys. I am seriously feeling paranoid about lead now.
> >
> >  what about peabody terrace. should I be worried about the lead levels
> > there?
> >
> >  Warigia
> >

> > Warigia Bowman
> >  Ph.D. Candidate in Public Policy
> >  Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
> >  1737 Cambridge Street, 2d Floor
> >  (617)495-5566
> >  Harvard University
> >  warigia_bowman at ksg.harvard.edu
> >

> >  -----parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > wrote: -----
> >

> > To: parentsgroup-list at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >  From: joygeren at gmail.com
> >  Sent by: parentsgroup-list-bounces at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >  Date: 11/29/2007 08:32AM
> >  Subject: Re: [Parentsgroup-list] dealing with lead
> >

> > On a slightly different note, be aware that Christmas lights are a good
> > source of lead. After wrapping them on our banister that our two year
> > old son touches everyday my husband mentioned this to me. A newly
> > released type of home lead test confirmed (but thankfully our bibs and
> vinyl
> > table cloth appear to be okay). Apparently it is common knowledge that
> > Christmas lights are made with high lead plastic because it is cheaper
> but I
> > had no idea.
> >
> > Best,
> > Joy