[Parentsgroup-list] Discount on "safe" water bottles

Joy Geren geren at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 31 10:36:10 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I am going to be purchasing "safe" water bottles for my family from
http://www.mysigg.com/ If others are interested in purchasing with me we can
take advantage of their large order discount as well as reduced shipping
costs. The discounts range from 10-30% depending on how many orders I can
get (I am trying for at least 20%). If you are interested please send me
your order by Sept. 7th. I will let you know the total price and ask for
checks as soon I get all of the orders together.

I know that there are so many dangers out there that they can't all be
addressed but this one seems particularly relevant for pregnant woman and
young children so I thought I would share this with all of you. My
2-year-old son, Toby, has used the "dangerous" plastic bottles/cups on and
off since birth so I will feel better switching him to a cute Sigg bottle.

Some general information on concerns about the safety of standard water
bottles (Nalgene included) and articles on the topic are below. Many, many
more can be found on the Google or on PubMed.

Best,
Joy Geren, G6

The potential dangers of Bisphenol-A (BPA) has been a hot topic in the news
lately. This chemical has been found to leech from polycarbonate plastic
commonly used for Nalgene type water bottles and the linings of metal food
cans. Recent tests have found that some food from containers made
of polycarbonate has levels of BPA above those found to be dangerous in
animal studies. BHA has been associated with a variety of hormonal problems
and altered immune function. Phthalates, DEHA and styrene make the safety of
other types of plastic questionable as well.

Smart Plastics Guide: Healthier Food Uses of Plastics
http://www.healthobservatory.org/library.cfm?RefID=3D77083

http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/114/bpa

-- =

Joy Geren, M.A.