[Parentsgroup-list] Referrals for HUHS OB/GYN physician

Corinne McKamey corinne.mckamey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:07:15 EDT 2007

Whether you go with doctors or midwives, I can't say enough about having a
doula or a doula-like person -- someone who is helping but is not legally
responsible for the birth -- to help facilitate your labor process and to
smooth out communications among everyone involved.

I delivered at the Brigham with a different doctor's group than the HGSE
one.  I had a doula who came to my house to help me labor for about 12 hours
before going to the hospital to labor for another 12.  Having a doula and an
explicit but short birth plan helped a lot -- as one doctor told me, "when
we see someone struggling through labor, we doctors tend to rely on the
tools we have been trained to use (drugs, monitors, etc.) to help us manage
our own anxieties about labor and birth."  She suggested to me several
things I could do to avoid interventions -- laboring at home and having a
doula who could facilitate, help me, my partner, and the birth team
communicate about the labor process.

Especially if you are expecting a long labor, having a doula -- someone who
is a constant caregiver throughout the process -- can also help you to
transition across multiple nurse, midwife, and/or doctor shifts.

Good luck!

Corinne