[Parentsgroup-list] Fwd: Proctor Recruitment for 2007-08

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 22 12:51:19 EST 2006

Hello again--

There IS one (rather exclusive) way Harvard grad students with kids can get=
 some
substantial housing help, and that is by becoming a Freshman Proctor or a H=
ouse
Tutor.  These are both fancy names for "house fellow," or a grad student who
lives in the houses with the students (95% of Harvard undergrads live in ca=
mpuc
housing and have strong affiliations with their houses).  Proctors and tuto=
rs
attend to various issues the students are having with work and life, breaki=
ng
up parties involving alcohol, etc.

This can be a fantastic deal for a grad student family, because you get free
room and free meals in exchange for what is often not a whole lot of work.

There are a VERY limited number of family apartments available for proctors=
 and
and house tutors.  (Most are designed for single students.) They usually ha=
ve
minimal kitchen faculities and are not huge, but on the other hand you live=
 in
Harvard Square for free.  Pets are also allowed for proctors/tutors to keep=
 in
most houses.  (That's why you see dogs running around Harvard yard sometime=
s.) =

When families manage to get these gigs they usually do not vacate for years=
, so
there are usually only a handful of spaces (or even only one or two, or non=
e)
available every year.  However, it's worth applying for if you are at all
interested.  I'm guessing that house tutors and proctors with kids have bet=
ter
rentention and faster finishing rates than those who do not have these jobs.

These positions are extremely competetive, and it's often difficult to get =
one
if you haven't been a nonresident tutor or had another similar position, so=
 if
you are interested and can't get a residential position this year, you can
improve your chances next year by being a nonresident tutor instead.

I will send along house tutor information soon--the application deadline is
usually in January, I think.  Also, if anyone on this list is already a tut=
or
and has suggestions or opinions, please pass them along!

Best, Christine

----- Forwarded message from ocsacademic-list at lists.fas.harvard.edu -----