[Parentsgroup-list] family-friendly policies, GSAS?

Diana Ramirez ramirez at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 4 11:21:07 EST 2006

Remember how good the talk surrounding the 'extra year' for students who
need to work at a reduced rate due to pregnancy or the need care for small
children sounded back in December?

Aparently, Dean Skocpol, while emphasizing that we 'get this extra year' is
now also proposing a new regulation to reduce the number of G8+ students.
According to the representative for my department (architecture and urban
planning) attending Monday's GSC meeting, there was mention that "If this
proposal is accepted, the number of offers that a department can make will
be reduced by the number of its G8+ students. Translation: if a department
typically admits four students but has two who are G8+, it will only be able
to make two offers that year. This has not yet been approved, but it is
being debated."

Which seems to mean that even when in theory our 'thesis clock' can be
stopped during pregnancy or while caring for small children, in practice it
could actually be prevented from clicking past the 7th year. And of course,
I can also imagine departmental pressure being exerted over those who take
this "extra" year without officially stopping the clock...

Has anyone heard from Skocpol or other officials at GSAS about how their
incipient family-friendly policies might combine with the g8+-unfriendly
ones?

Diana

from Christine Dianne Wenc