[Parentsgroup-list] childcare exchange proposal

Benjamin Cooper Waterhouse waterh at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 30 17:26:02 EDT 2006

Hi,
I'm brand new to this list, so I don't know if questions like mine have
been posted, but I'm hoping someone on the list can help me.

I have a 5 month old son, and my wife has recently gone back to work, so
we're trying to figure out childcare. Since she is in retail and I am in
graduate school, we have very flexible schedules and do not need (and
could not afford) regular or even part time day-care. In fact, what we're
looking for is a safe place for Gabriel for only one or two days a week.

It occurs to me that the simplest, safest, and most cost-effective thing
to do would be to find a family in a similar situation who might want to
do an organized, regular kid-swap. That is, on day one, I or my wife watch
your kid; on day two, you watch ours. I know I'd have an easier time
trusting another parent than a babysitter, though if this doesn't work
out, I would welcome suggestions for one-or-two-day-a-week nannies.

If anyone on this list might be interested in pursuing this idea--or knows
someone who might (doesn't have to be a grad student!)--please be in touch
with me.

Thanks very much.

Ben Waterhouse