[Parentsgroup-list] credit card reward points for 529 college savings plan--scam?

rohwein at fas.harvard.edu rohwein at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 30 16:27:12 EDT 2006

My husband and I spent some time looking at 529s with our financial advisor as
well, and came to much the same conclusion.  529s can only be used for
education, and even there may have some limitations.  Anything not used for
educational expenses is not recoverable.  Also, each state's plan has somewhat
different terms and different investiments available, which of course affects
their growth over time, so if you are considering using one, you should
definitely shop around.  We did end up setting one up because a grandparent
wanted specifically to contribute to a 529.

I will also second the credit card company gives you money back feature.  Mine
has a good interest rate, and I get a credit in my account periodically.  (Its
through a credit union.)

Good luck,

Julie Rohwein
rohwein at fas.harvard.edu