[Parentsgroup-list] Vaccinations

Jenny Kirsten Ataoguz jksmith at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 28 03:05:47 EDT 2006

Dear All,

I would just like to point out that I did not ask for advice on whether or =
not to vaccinate my daughter.  I believe that it is a decision to be made b=
y parents, in consultation with their doctor, if they are lucky enough to f=
ind one who approaches the issue critically.  I do not appreciate exhortati=
ons from others, especially on such a personal and delicate issue and on su=
ch a forum as this, whose purpose is not the debate of such controversial t=
opics.  I accept no one's proclamations unquestioningly, especially someone=
 I have never met and know nothing about.  I asked the list because I assum=
ed that there would be some members who approach vaccinations more critical=
ly than others on it, and from them I wanted to hear.

yours,
kirsten

Only read if you want more:

By the way, if we were to ask our doctor (we are now in Switzerland) to giv=
e the MMR, Hib, or Hep B vaccines to our daughter, he would refuse, as woul=
d most doctors here.  No vaccines are required in Switzerland, even to ente=
r school or university, and there are no major outbreaks here of any of the=
se diseases.  Switzerland is a country with many regulations and with certa=
in limitations on personal freedom that America does not have, but the choi=
ce to vaccinate here is a sacred right held by the parents.  I will not ced=
e that right when we return to the States, and thankfully I have already fo=
und a pediatrician who shares our conviction.