[Parentsgroup-list] Public Breastfeeding Petition

geren at fas.harvard.edu geren at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 26 23:04:40 EDT 2006

I was shocked to learn that Massachusetts doesn't already have a law to protect
nursing mothers. I couldn't survive the daily bus commute with my baby if I
couldn't feed/comfort him in public by nursing.

If you would like to support women's rights to nurse, it only takes a minute to
sign the petition online at http://www.petitiononline.com/HB1782/petition.html

Best,
Joy Geren

Here is the text of the petition:

To: Massachusetts Congress

Dear Members of the Massachusetts Congress:

We are requesting that you support HB-1782, legislation to permit
breast-feeding of children in public. This bill is intended to protect
mothers from discrimination and harassment by clarifying their right to
breastfeed in public.

Under current state law, a mother may be charged with indecent exposure for
nursing in public. Massachusetts is one of the few states which has not
formalized the protection of a mother's basic right to nurse her child. The
passage of HB-1782 will afford these mothers with the protection they need
and deserve.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned <http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?HB1782>