[Parentsgroup-list] delead apartments

Deborah Freedman Woods dwoods at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 26 15:31:07 EDT 2006

I believe it's the case that a landlord renting an
apartment within his or her own residence can discriminate
against renting the apartment to a family.  Landlords
renting apartments not in their home cannot discriminate
(legally) against families.  If there is a child under 6
present, the landlord is required to delead, whether or not
the landlord lives in the house.

We had a terribly difficult time trying to find a deleaded
apartment last year when I was pregnant.  I could write a
book about our experiences, but I'll save that for another
time.

Best,
Deb Woods