[Parentsgroup-list] delead apartments

Marion Tenney Gross mgross at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 26 14:52:02 EDT 2006

I just saw someone post that landlords renting an apartment in their own
home (half of a two family) are required to delead. Unless there has been
a recent law change that is not accurate. Given that many landlords would
lose their home (both their actual home and the rental apartment, in this
situation) if forced to pay the tens of thousands of dollars to delead,
this makes sense. As the owner of a two-family I just want to point out
that many landlords are living rent check to rent check to pay their
mortgage and blaming them because an apartment is old and may have lead is
not fair. If you want to ask the state to pay for massive deleading in an
area, fine, but small landlords simply can't afford it. Of course, the
vast majority of "lead" apartments will never contaminate your child, but
legally the landlord is liable (in some cases) if their tenant is
concerned. In our case,
though we have two children in an old house, if we rented in the other
apartment to someone with
a child and they complained, we would be out on the street (if what was
suggested is accurate). It's a public
health/legal problem  - let's take it easy on the landlords!