[Parentsgroup-list] delead apartments

candice belanoff cbelanof at hsph.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 26 14:26:54 EDT 2006

We definitely encountered some egregious housing discrimination when we
first moved to Boston on account of having a child under 6 (having a dog
only compounded the problem). Many, MANY landlords refused to show us their
apartments when they heard we had a kid; and one, who seemed like a decent
enough person, said she simply could not afford to delead, (also having
something to do with the fact that it was a condo building and all the
tenants would have to agree to it -- blah blah blah -- still illegal, but
you kind of see where there's a barrier for individual home-owners.)  And I
hate to say, but a broker (evil) even refused to show us anything, claiming
she had nothing deleaded to show. If I'd had the resources and gumption at
the time, I would have raised some hell about it, but I had neither, and
just wanted a place to live. We were lucky and found a deleaded place in
Mission Hill. Seems like some landlords are very motivated to rent to nice
quiet families in neighborhoods which traditionally draw groups of students
renting apartments. Might be an angle to work.

--candice