[Parentsgroup-list] delead apartments

jbarnes at fas.harvard.edu jbarnes at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 26 14:11:06 EDT 2006

I'm not familiar with the exception Kyla mentions, but I think it must only
apply to situations where the apartment rented is "part of" the landlords
house.  I do know that if you rent one story of a two-family house where the
landlord lives on the other story that does not exempt the landlord from the
requirements of the law.

It is true that if you move in to a non-deleaded apartment you can then force
the landlord to bring it into compliance.  I'm not sure I'd recommend
that...you can decide for yourself if having an expensive confrontation with
your landlord is the first thing you want to do when you move into a new place.

We lived in a non-deleaded apartment for our first two years out here (we had 3
small children then).  The landlord initially said he would rent to someone
else until I gave him my word I would not force him to delead.  Trying to
enforce the "landlord must delead" provision in the law before you move in is
largely a non-starter...it's just too easy for the landlord to come up with
other reasons to not rent to you.  I'm sure I am in the extreme minority in
choosing to live with our small children in an apartment that was not deleaded
but it was the best option available to us.  We did ask the landlord to repaint
the place before we moved in which he did.  We were careful to watch for peeling
paint, dust, etc. but overall we felt fine living there.  We also had our
children tested annually.

I'm not recommending you do the same, but since you asked if everyone lives in a
deleaded apartment, I thought I'd share my experience.  I do not regret our
decision at all.

Jesse