[Parentsgroup-list] delead apartments

Anna Shusterman anna.shusterman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 11:45:50 EDT 2006

Hi,
It is a bit tricky around here. However there are some financial incentives
(at least in somerville) for landlords to delead -- it is not as costly or
time consuming as they would have you believe. Our landlord deleaded for us
(after our other landlord kicked us out -- win some, lose some). In theory,
according to the law, they cannot deny you housing based on the fact that
you have a small child, and they *have* to bring the apartment into
compliance with the lead laws. It depends how pushy you want to be to make
it clear to potential landlords that you know that law and you know that
they are violating it.
There are deleaded apartments and decent landlords around, though -- you
just have to look hard for them. Some postings don't advertise that they are
deleaded, and if the apartment looks freshly renovated, you can move in and
then insist that the landlord do lead testing and bring the place into
compliance. I think that even if you sign the "lead disclosure" form that
they provide, if they rent to you with a small child they are not off the
hook -- they still have to bring the place into compliance. I would double
check this, though.
Good luck -- if I hear of any good deleaded apartments I will post them
here.
-Anna