[Parentsgroup-list] and now to throw some cold water on everything...

Christine Dianne Wenc wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 15 15:28:14 EDT 2006

Here's a report on a study that shows (oddly enough) that poor-quality
full-time child care isn't good for little kids.  The Harvard centers,
however,  are considered to be very good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/14/business/14leonhardt.html?ex=1150516800&en=5d2ae3d24d2a40f1&ei=5087%0A

I still think, however, that stipends for child care are the way to go for
grad
students.  This way we can spend them on care that fits our lives, and
will not be locked into rigid 9-5, 5-days-a-week schedules.  I think that
the entire work world needs to be reorganized to accept the reality of
small children in many people's lives, basically :).  So I think this
group should continue to push for much more flexible options for grad
student parents, most of whom do not need full-time 9-5 care 12 months a
year.

But at least the Harvard centers are a start.  I am sure it's the easiest
thing for them to do at the beginning.

Christine