[Parentsgroup-list] details, such as they are, on child care scholarships

Christine Dianne Wenc wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 15 15:07:45 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Here you go--from the horse's mouth.  They don't know the details yet, but
there will be money available next year for people with kids in the
Harvard-affiliated day care centers.  This seems (I hope) to be just a
starting point--they can't make the funding 'portable' yet to other
providers, since that's a whole different kettle of fish.  But it's a
start.

I still don't know how much these are going to be, by the way--let's hope
it's enough to make a real difference.  I also doubt there will be any
change to the standard 12-month contract, so keep in mind that you are
committing to paying for 12 months a year even if you don't use the place
in the summer.  And the standard 9-5 day will also probably be in place,
though some have half days available.

The way it will work is that first you apply to the centers and then if
you get in, you apply through the center to get the aid--it will be
administered by each place separately, not through Harvard.  (God bless
Harvard's decentralization...)

So if you're interested, I highly recommend getting on waiting lists
*right away.*  If you already have a kid/kids in a Harvard center, you are
already
halfway there.  (There are about 30 kids of grad students in the centers
right now.)

BTW, Miriam is one of our members who wrote from Bolivia...thanks for the
prodding, Miriam!

Christine