[Parentsgroup-list] maternity/paternity paid leave petition (fwd)

Christine Dianne Wenc wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 1 18:47:11 EDT 2006

I usually feel that online petitions are a way to feel you've done
something without actually doing anything, but thought I'd pass this
along anyway.  It IS pretty ridiculous that the US has no national form of
paid parental leave, considering that basically all other industrialized
societies do have such leaves.  (It often works like unemployment
insurance does here, and how much you get depends on how long you've been
in the work force.)

In Canada you get a YEAR of paid leave.  Plus $5/day child care if you go
back to work.

MA may soon have the best parental/caregiver leave system in the country
soon, however, if the legislation passes.  (I believe they are proposing
an extremely radical 12 whole weeks of paid leave when a baby is born.)

I did bring this up when I met
with the interim president of Harvard--will grad student parents, most
likely mothers, be the only workers who do not get paid leave?  It's not a
ridiculous idea--Princeton, although it has no other form of assistance
for grad parents, does allow paid leave if you're a TF for the birth of a
child.  Of course, I think you also get kicked out of Princeton grad
family housing if you go on leave beyond the end of the term, so perhaps this isn't as
generous as it sounds.

anyway, here is today's form of online activism...I'm in a crabby mood
today, can you tell?

--Christine