[Parentsgroup-list] an outrageous practice

Thompson, Cheryl Lynn cheryl_thompson at student.hms.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 10 20:56:51 EST 2006

Dear Anna,

I recently attended a workshop at Wellesley for those interested in teachin=
g at small liberal arts colleges.    There was a panel of junior faculty an=
d they discussed what to do when questions regarding family come up.  (Many=
 of the female junior faculty had had bad experiences prior to their Welles=
ley appointment.)   It is illegal to ask about marital status, etc.   Howev=
er, if you are asked, you should be honest about your family.   It just giv=
es you an opportunity to find out about the working environment.   Bottom l=
ine: if the response is negative, you wouldn't want to work there anyway.   =

Cheryl =

P.S. I'm all for all of you who have the determination, time (and energy) t=
o be trailblazers!