[Parentsgroup-list] an outrageous practice

Anna Shusterman anna.shusterman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:56:22 EST 2006

Dear fellow parents,
I have been talking to some friends on the academic job market. Invariably,
they have been asked whether they have a child or a partner at interviews.
This is true for males as well as females. Sometimes this is done in a
somewhat sneaky way, for example they are asked by a grad student who they
later find out is on the search committee.
I think this is pretty outrageous, and the fact that it is pervasive does
not make it less outrageous. Apparently, it is also illegal by federal law.
I don't know what other people think about this. For my part, I am
interested in thinking about ways to publicize and stop this practice,
though I'm not sure that all would agree with me on those courses of action.
I'm eager to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.
Yours,
Anna (G5 in psychology, mother to 19-month-old Max)