[Parentsgroup-list] Older parents/Parents of older children

Kara Swanson kswanson at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 6 09:56:00 EST 2006

Dear All,

First all, as has been said before, any Harvard student controls their
own list subscriptions.  Follow the link at the end of any listserv
message to manage your account and take yourself off.  Also, you get a
monthly reminder of your list memberships, which also tells you how to
unsubscribe.  No other student can take you off, and emailing the whole
list doesn't help.

It is of course, very appropriate and useful to let the list know how it
isn't meeting your needs.  So I did want to address Huazhang's message
and advocate for the value of this organization for all sorts of parents.

I've been a member of this group since its inception (although not a
founding organizer).  I have two girls, who are now 6 and 9.  As a
mother of school age children, I am well aware that I am outside not
only the general demographic of Harvard grad students, but the majority
of Harvard student parents, who tend to have kids in the 0-5 range.
(Although those kids do have a way of growing up.  When I started, and
there was no grad student parent group, I was the mother of  a 3 year
old and a 6 year old).  That said, one of the founders of this group is
the mother of a middle school student, and I know there are other
parents out there with kids the age of mine and older -- including
college age.  The questions of time allocation, financial strains, and
quality childcare are something we all have experience with and can
advocate for in common, even if, for example, my issue is after-school
sitting, and vacation day camps, rather than a nanny.  The issue of
being an older student in a sea of seemingly endless 22 year olds is
also a common link for us, no matter how old our children are.  We all
probably struggle with making friends, juggling work and home life, and
attending evening and weekend events when we have both different family
obligations that the childless, and feel a little too old and/or too
partnered to join grad student bashes or Dudley House parties.

And even as our needs are different, this group is what we make of it --
I hope we will all work to shape it to support parents of all ages,
types, schools, partner-status, etc.  I may not be struggling with
breastfeeding any more or looking for ways to entertain a toddler, but I
do have experience with Cambridge-based day cares I can share, plus a
few  boxes of nursing gear I should probably pass along some day.  And I
can benefit by the research some of the new parents among us are doing
on local pediatricians, and let others know that in a few years, when
they are kindergarteners, your toddlers might enjoy the (cheap!) milk
and cookies matinees the Harvard/Radcliffe Gilbert and Sullivan players
hold once each semester.  Those of you who have high school and college
age kids -- I would love to draw on your experience with parenting
adolescents as my kids grow.  The issues of sleep away camp, cell phone
usage, text messaging are are lurking my not-too-distant parenting future.

So as I am sorry that Huazhang and Xiajuan are giving up on us (and I
fully support the decision to let some organizations/listserves go as we
all struggle to do too much), I wanted to shout out to those parents of
older kids who remain and express my hope that we will continue to make
this group useful to parents of all stripes.

Cheers,

Kara

Kara W. Swanson, B.S., M.A., J.D.
Ph.D. Candidate