[Parentsgroup-list] Family Friendly Films at Dudley (fwd)

Christine Dianne Wenc wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 25 22:35:54 EDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:30:21 -0400
From: Susan Zawalich <zawalich at fas.harvard.edu>
To: Christine Dianne Wenc <wenc at fas.harvard.edu>
Subject: Family Friendly Films at Dudley

Christine:  FYI to your group as well....Dudley Classic Films is
specializing in "family friendly classics" this fall.  I'll copy in the
movie list. For kids I would especially recommend Mary Poppins on Sept. 30,
The Buster Keaton movies on Nov. 4 and The Sound of Music on Dec. 9..
older kids might well enjoy the Marx Brothers and Bringing Up Baby this
Friday (Sept. 23).  The movies are shown on the big-screen TV in the Grad
Student Lounge starting at 6 p.m. on Fridays.
Cheers
Susan

Dudley Classic Films

“There is really no such thing as an “old” movie – just wonderful pictures
you may not have discovered yet.”
  --     Peter Bogdanovich

There will be several different film series offered at Dudley this
year.  Our classic film series this term begins with an evening of
academics gone wild
followed by a series of family-friendly classics and
other surprises.  We look forward to sharing our favorite films with you at
Dudley House.

Films on Fridays on the big-screen TV in the Graduate Student Lounge:

September 23 –Academics Gone Wild!

6 p.m.    Horsefeathers (1932).  One of the classic early films of the Marx
Brothers.  Groucho is the college president, Zeppo is his lazy student son,
Chico and Harpo are football stars!  You can imagine the chaos. (68 min.)
7:30 p.m.  Bringing Up Baby (1938).  Cary Grant is an absent-minded
paleontologist obsessed with bones; Katharine Hepburn is a scatterbrained
heiress obsessed with Cary Grant.  One of the greatest of the classic
screwball comedies. (102 min.)

September 30 – If you want this choice position, have a cheery disposition

6 p.m.  Mary Poppins (1964).  Julie Andrews is the mysterious nanny.  Dick
Van Dyke is her jack-of-all-trades friend.  A wonderful evening of music
and dancing is in store for children of all ages!  Chimchimcheree!  (140 min.)

November 4 -- An Evening with Buster Keaton

6 p.m.  Keaton was undoubtendly one of the greatest comic geniuses who ever
lived and one of the greatest filmmakers in the history of the cinema – you
can’t miss this chance to watch some of these amazing films!
We start off the evening with Sherlock, Jr. (1924), followed by some fun
chase scenes from several movies and then, at 7:30 p.m. the classic Keaton
film, The General (1927) will be shown. This is the greatest train chase
ever filmed.  Set in the period of the American Civil War.  The exquisite,
haunting, elegant, and fabulous funny Buster Keaton will entertain you to
the nth degree.

December  9 – 6 p.m.  Annual Holiday Classic:The Sound of Music
Crisp apple strudel, Julie Andrews, Captain von Trapp, nuns, nazis, alps, a
scheming baroness
and all those children!