[Parentsgroup-list] Picnic update

Christine Dianne Wenc wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 23 10:31:12 EDT 2005

Hi all,

We are very happy to report that we have had a huge response to this
event, and that our final head count is 55 adults and 32 kids!

Most of the kids are under 5, so prepare accordingly.  If you want to
bring any outside toys that's probably OK, but obviously there will be
many other kids who will want to share...There is a very kid-friendly
fountain in front of the Sci Center, but it may not be running on Sat
morning.

Also attending will be GSAS Dean Margot Gill, who is responsible for
implementing grad school policy.  Dean Theda Skopcol couldn't make it, but
said she thought it was a very good thing.  Both seem very supportive.

Ellen Fox, who directs the Office of Student Services, will also be there.
She is the one to ask about any problems about anything, not just
regarding your parenthood.  Rise Shepsle (and her husband, a government
prof) will try to come--she is the FAS grad student affairs officer.  She
is the one who approves requests for leaves of absence etc., including
maternity leaves and applications for part-time study (which you can do if
you have small children).

Garth McCavana, associate dean for student affairs, will try to make it
but he is recovering from a bicycling injury.  He is directly responsible
for us being able to fund this event, so if he does come we must thank him
profusely.

I asked Pres Summers too, but he was out of town.

Other issues: We have no rain plans, so this will happen unless it's
really pouring.  We have a not-huge tent for shelter but that's it.  The
weather report is favorable, though--sunny an in the 70s (though windy).

Again, this will be from 10 am- 1pm in front of the Science Center,
tomorrow, Sat Sept 24.  It's a picnic, so we just have a few tables &
chairs--you might want to bring a blanket to sit on if you don't want to
sit directly on the grass.  We have so many people that we are a little
worried about our ability to feed you all properly, but we will do our
best!  There will be a section of little-kid friendly food, but you might
want to bring snacks for your little ones just in case.

See you tomorrow!

Christine