[Parentsgroup-list] National Family Volunteer Day

Dudley Public Service dudleypublicservice at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 17:48:46 EST 2005

Hi Families
For those of you looking for a good activity to do with your family,there will be many on National Family Volunteer Day, which is November19th.  Please read the following activities below and try to getinvolved =)
We are trying to get a team of graduate students to help lead projectsfor Cradles to Crayons, so if you are interested, it would be fun tomeet you there.
Best,Your Dudley Public Service Fellow, Linda
*****************************8The Volunteer Family & National Family Volunteer Day
November 19 is National Family Volunteer Day.   Bring your familytogether to help the community on this day of service.  The VolunteerFamily, a Framingham-based, nonprofit is coordinating events fromWorcester to Boston – find an event near you, spend time with yourfamily and do good in the community!
All events take place Saturday, November 19 unless otherwise noted.
Worcester Audubon Society:	WILDLIFE SANCTUARY PRESERVATIONBroad Meadow Brook Sanctuary is a 400 acre preserve full of wildlifeand nature trails. It needs regular maintenance -- the day's activitywill depend on weather and the sanctuary's immediate needs. 10am-12pm.
A QUILTING BEE for The Women's Lunch PlaceThe Women's Lunch Place is a day-time shelter that provides services,including safe havens and food, for poor and homeless Boston-areawomen and children.  Our volunteers will help make sure the shelter'sguests stay warm this winter by making quilts in Wellesley.1:30pm-4:30pm.  We will have TVF staff familiar with quilt-makingon-hand so experience with quilting is preferred but not required.
CRADLES TO CRAYONSCradles to Crayons receives donations of high-quality clothing, toysand books for homeless Massachusetts children.  Our volunteers willinspect, sort and prepare these items for distribution at Cradles'Quincy warehouse. 10am-12pm or 1pm-3pm.
Please contact TVF's Volunteer Coordinator, Michelle Ellwood, atmellwood at thevolunteerfamily.org or 508/598-1621 to register for theAudubon Society, Quilting or Cradles events.
CHARLES RIVER CONSERVANCYThe Charles River Conservancy preserves and maintains the basinsurrounding the Charles River. At this event, families will helprestore a playground in Artesani Park, Brighton. 10am-2pm.
RE-VISION HOUSERe-Vision House Urban Farm is a shelter for homeless pregnant womenand mothers in Dorchester.  The shelter operates several small farmswhere they teach gardening skills, promote nutritious eating, makefresh food accessible to the poor and sell organic produce to sustainoperations.  Depending on the weather, volunteers may help with theirharvest. 9am-12pm
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY DRIVEHabitat for Humanity needs supplies as they prepare to build a home inActon.  Ace Hardware has agreed to let us hold a drive in front oftheir Acton location all weekend – now we need to staff and stock it. The tool drive will provide Habitat with the supplies they need tobuild their home, will raise money for Habitat to purchase othersupplies and will help generate support in the Acton community forthis project.
Please bring gently used tools, new tools or hardware store giftcertificates to the drive. The table will be open from 8:00am-5:30pmon Saturday, November 19 and 10am-5:00pm on Sunday, November 20.
To staff the donation table, shifts are 2 hours each and are availablebetween 8:00am-5:30pm Saturday November 19 and 10am-5pm Sunday,November 20 at Acton's Ace Hardware. We'd like 2-3 volunteers at eachshift.  Sign-up with your friends/family as a team!
Please contact TVF's Website Coordinator, Chris Lloyd, atclloyd at thevolunteerfamily.org or 508/598-1689 to sign up for a Habitatshift or register for the CRC or Re-Vision events.

TVF is committed to helping families find opportunities to volunteertogether – and when they do, the benefits are widespread.  Localnonprofits get the help they need and strong families help buildstrong communities.
National Family Volunteer Day, which originates with the Points ofLight foundation, is a day of service encouraging families to partnertogether to improve their communities.
The Volunteer Family161 Worcester Road, Suite 300Framingham, MA 01701508/405-2220www.thevolunteerfamily.org