[Parentsgroup-list] my intro and preliminary thoughts on lists

Jenny Kirsten Ataoguz jksmith at fas.harvard.edu
Mon May 9 14:15:36 EDT 2005

My intro:
my name is Kirsten, and I am a G8 in the department of History of Art and
Architecture.  I work on a ca. 800 CE program of frescoes in a church in a
far corner of Switzerland.  I may have one more year, or two.

I have a 20 month old daughter, Lidie, and we live with my husband Cem
(pronounced gem) in Fribourg, Switzerland.

My greatest struggle is to find the time.  I currently have three different
students who come to watch Lidie while I work, adding up to only about 7
hours each week.  My husband watches Lidie one afternoon and one morning
each week, and I try to work during naps.  And on weekends I just want to
relax with my family.

About sub-lists:
from the initial response to my email, it seems there could be interest in
two different groups, one of which may fall within this original
parentsgroup.  first, there seems to be demand for those who live in
Cambridge, for a network for coordinating playdates, cooperative babysitting
arrangements, etc.  as I do not live in Cambridge, I am not the best person
for coordinating this.  But how I do wish I could participate!

The second group would serve the same function as the group at the Bureau of
Study Counsel (http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~bsc/grpwrk.html#dissertation:
"This group provides an opportunity for GSAS, HGSE, and KSG students to
engage with each other in discussion of their dissertation work in a group
context and to gain emotional and intellectual encouragement from others
struggling with the writing process. The group may elect to continue to meet
without the leaders after the planned six weeks.") but less formally and
without a moderator (but perhaps we could solicit someone from the bureau).
Ours would obviously address our specific challenges (finding time,
maintaining balance, coping with the difficulties of non-parental childcare)
as well as writerly issues.  I am interested in an electronic forum because
I do not live in Cambridge, and i must make a conscious effort not to be
isolated intellecutally.  But I imagine that most everyone else can only
spare so much time away from their children, so an on-line forum may be
preferable for others as well.

So perhaps someone else would like to coordinate a playgroup list, if it
would only be a fraction of this original parentsgroup list, and I will
gladly coordinate the dissertation writers' support group.

Any thoughts?
Kirsten