[Parentsgroup-list] mission statement & Berkeley parents' guide

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Sun May 1 23:46:24 EDT 2005

Here is the first draft of the mission statement and our goals, both in the=
 body
of this email & as an attachment.  I also include the Berkeley parents' gui=
de.
It looks like a great program which I think we should use as a model for wh=
at
we hope to accomplish. Please send any responses to the list so we can all =
have
a conversation about them.

Best, Christine

May 1, 2005

Harvard Graduate Student and Post-Doctoral Parents=92 Organization Mission
Statement

The mission of the Harvard Graduate Student and Post-Doctoral Parents=92
Organization is to enrich the academic experience, visibility, and liveliho=
od
of graduate student and post-doctoral fellow parents by advocating for
substantial cultural and institutional recognition and inclusion of graduate
student and post-doctoral fellow parents within the Harvard academic commun=
ity.

We believe that making graduate student and post-doctoral fellow parents vi=
sible
at Harvard will result in the creation of a more collegial and happy enviro=
nment
for the entire Harvard community, as well as attract a diverse, well-rounde=
d,
accomplished and mature pool of graduate school and post-doctoral fellow
candidates.

Harvard Graduate Student and Post-Doctoral Parents=92 Organization Goals

<sum> Increase Harvard=92s acknowledgment and support of graduate student a=
nd
post-doctoral fellow parents to the level of some of America=92s other lead=
ing
universities
<sum> Increase Harvard=92s institutional and monetary support to graduate s=
tudent
and post-doctoral fellow parents
<sum> Reduce financial hardships that graduate student and post-doctoral fe=
llow
parents experience
<sum> Make accessible Harvard=92s highly-regarded work-life and caregiver s=
upport
programs to graduate student and post-doctoral fellow parents
<sum> Identify and address problems that are unique to international gradua=
te
student and post-doctoral fellow parents
<sum> Eliminate disparities in distribution of informal benefits between si=
ngle
graduate students, house tutor parents and their student and post-doctoral
fellow parents peers
<sum> Increase Harvard=92s awareness of the special family requirement of g=
raduate
student and post-doctoral fellow parents in administering housing assignmen=
ts,
financial aid need calculation, child center fee schedules, and health
insurance packages.