[Parentsgroup-list] Resource comparison: housing, childcare & health care

Tonya Cropper tonya_cropper at ksgphd.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 4 05:58:16 EDT 2005

Thanks for the information Segal.

Our biggest weapon in approaching the university is information. We need
student parents to assist in gathering information. We are currently
researching what resources and subsidies other major universities (private
and public) avail to their student parents. We believe that Harvard is
currently at the bottom of the scale when it comes to support of its student
parents. But, we need to back this belief up with facts. We would like to go
to Larry Summers with a comprehensive plan why Harvard may lose its
competitive edge in attracting the best graduate students.

We are researching three specific areas - housing, health care, and
childcare resources. As we all know, currently Harvard's affiliated housing
apartments are limited, priced at a market rate (actually some feel the
rents are higher), and provide no consideration in the lottery for graduate
student parents. But, this is not the case at some of Harvard's peer
institutions. Likewise, Harvard's childcare facilities are very expensive
and have a long waiting list. Graduate student parents are not able to apply
for the very limited scholarships currently available to faculty and staff.
As Segal mentioned, MIT a few minutes away from Harvard offers a substantial
amount of support to graduate student for childcare assistance. Some student
parents may not need assistance for a childcare center. Schools like
Berkeley offers its graduate student parents (those who financially qualify)
a subsidy of $6000 to use for childcare, housing, or health care. Harvard's
dependent healthcare plan is very expensive. I cannot afford it for my
daughter and she currently is covered by MassHealth. I've found out that I
am not alone. Other student parents at Harvard have to rely on the state for
assistance.

During the summer we hope to continue our research on comparison of
resources from other major universities. If you would like to provide
information on a certain school, please direct us to the website (we need to
assure that the information is accurate to a certain date). If you would
like to assist us in collecting information, until we can set up website
easily to communicate this information please email me
(cropper at fas.harvard.edu). Christine Wenc is steering the childcare resource
comparison. Ryan Larsen is steering the healthcare comparison and I (Tonya
Cropper) am steering the housing comparison. Christine and Ryan are on
vacation for the next two and four weeks respectively.

Thanks again,

Tonya