[Parentsgroup-list] A call for moderation...

Christine Dianne Wenc wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Jul 31 10:48:28 EDT 2005

The resentment on both sides is amazing, and I am not sure what to do
about that.  But I do
think that as parents we may share more convictions than not.  I
have learned a lot by talking to other people in this group myself.

I also want to make it clear
that just because you may not share my beliefs (and you might not want to
assume you know what they are...)  doesn't mean you are not welcome
in the group--and welcome to disagree as you see fit.  The steering
committee, for instance, is certainly not united in their political
views!

I also agree that certain political views are not publicly welcome
on most college campuses, including this one, and that this tends to
stifle discussion in ways which are not very helpful.  American feminists
are partly responsible for the lack of public support for child care and
maternity leaves here (as was pointed out in that article) and I think
it's a good idea for 'liberals' to think about why that is true.

I am sorry to those who were offended by the (expletive deleted).  I
think that the United States's economic system is quite
family-unfriendly--including to the 'traditional' family--and my impulsive
post came from my perception of this.  I was definitely not attacking
religion or the support religious communities can give to families.

If I wasn't strongly (even obsessively) in favor of family values as a
concept which should be promoted in the culture at large, I wouldn't have
started this group.  But I do sincerely apologize to those who were
offended by my comments.

Christine