[Parentsgroup-list] good pediatrician??

Rub én Gaztambide-Ferná ndez gaztamru at gse.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 2 17:17:02 EDT 2005

Hello everyone,

We take our daughter Mercedes (5) and our new born son Alejandro (5 weeks)
to the Southern Jamaica Plain Health Center. Dr. Jason Gottlieb is their
pediatrician and he is a young, very enthusiastic, humorous, knowledgeable,
and down to earth doctor. He also speaks Spanish, as does the rest of the
staff in that office (which may not matter to most, but makes a big
difference to us). Dr, Gottlieb is quite good with both of the kids.
Mercedes always gets a great laugh while he interacts with her. As long as
there are no needles involved, she looks forward to the visits. The visits
are a bit of a game for her, and she learns a lot about her body with him.
He is accessible, informative, and has a good balance between being
medically astute and observant while also trusting our common sense as
parents.

When our daughter was born five years ago, we first used the pediatricians
at HUHS and frankly had a rather mixed experience. We never saw the same
doctor twice, and non of the ones we saw impressed either of us. We then
shifted to the Cambridge Harvard Vanguard and had Dr. Shari Abramowitz. She
was an excellent Dr. and we thought she gave our daughter excellent care.
But she had the bed side manner of, well, a doctor (no offense to other
doctors in the list :-0). But if you don't care whether your kid laughs out
loud at least once before s/he is punctured with needles, then bed side
interactions may be low in your check list.

I hope this information is helpful to some.

Peace,

Ruben Gaztambide-Fernandez,
Doctoral Candidate
Harvard Graduate School of Education