[Parentsgroup-list] good pediatrician??

Christine Dianne Wenc wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 2 17:05:53 EDT 2005

Have to say who I DON'T highly recommend, and that's the HUHS pediatrics
service.  They're not bad, probably pretty typical, but they seem to be
pretty unfamiliar with breastfeeding (which I guess is still pretty
typical of many pediatricians, unfortunately) and have given me some
really dumb advice regarding it.  Luckily I was able to recognize it as such,
but still.  Dr. Miller there is a very nice person, though, and helped us
out with a recent crisis.

One other thing now that I'm thinking about it--If your kid ever tests for
high blood lead levels after a finger-stick test, get the arm stick before
you freak out.  This happened to us, and since no one told me that the
finger test can be wildly innacurate (if your kid sticks his/her finger in
leaded city dust beforehand it will register), I ended up uprooting my
entire life for several weeks before getting the far more accurate arm
stick test results back.  (HUHS screwed up the arm results the 1st time and
I had to bring him in again, which didn't help; they also didn't bother
telling me that I could have had the results the next day--I ended up calling
THEM like 10 days later, after I had already received the letter from the
Mass Dept of Public Health about lead poisoning which the initial
finger-stick test had automatically triggered.)  The 2nd arm test showed
he was OK, with lead levels almost 2/3 lower than what the finger test
showed, but by then I had actually found a new apartment.  I'm still
trying to finish the incompletes from that semester.

Just FYI, since everyone is supposed to have this done every year
in MA until your kid is 6, I think.