[Parentsgroup-list] you're spot on---think about it

Brandeis McBratney-Owen mcbratn at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 1 12:25:44 EDT 2005

Dear Jesse-
I think you hit the nail right on the head when you wrote:

“But policies involve trade-offs, and closing your eyes and
ignoring them does nothing for the families whose lives are affected by
them.”

The US policies do give us the following:  the highest per-capita GDP.  A
relatively low unemployment rate.  The most advanced medical care in the world.
 And you noted “the average American has roughly 33% more real income than the
average Western European”.  Economically the US is winning.

US policies also give us these:  the highest infant mortality rate for an
industrialized nation (think deeply about that one---what is up with that?).
Access to the most advanced medical care IF you can pay for it.   Decreased
longevity.   A work ethic in which the majority of US workers don’t take their
full vacation time each year (as if having a holiday makes you less committed
to your job).  In these areas the US is a loser.

So as you said, “policies involve trade-offs, and closing your eyes and
ignoring them does nothing for the families whose lives are affected by
them.”  The US policies favor economic gain (for some people, not for all).
They favor less time with your family (via no maternity leave policies, less
vacation time and a culture that doesn’t support taking time off anyways).
They favor a lower quality of life in terms of health (infant mortality rates,
heart disease, longevity, diabetes).  Don’t close your eyes to that.

Most sincerely,
Brandeis

P.S. If you are unemployed in other countries, there are better social safety
nets so your likelihood of living in poverty while unemployed is lower, plus
your children still have access to good healthcare while you are unemployed.