[Parentsgroup-list] First meeting announcement

wenc at fas.harvard.edu wenc at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Apr 23 13:25:25 EDT 2005

Hello all--at long last, we have our first official meeting scheduled!  It will
be on Sunday, May 1 from 4-6 pm in the graduate lounge at Dudley House.  This
time may not be ideal but we are hoping that as many people as possible can
attend.  Children are welcome, of course.

At this meeting we will hand out the final draft of our mission statement and a
list of goals we would like to achieve so we can discuss them and get your
input.  We will also discuss an confidential online survey we are arranging
with the Graduate Student Council asking questions about the economic,
professional and social situation of parents at Harvard.  The results of this
survey will be distributed to the appropriate deans, faculty members, President
Summers, and the office of Work/Life Resources at Harvard.  There may also be a
representative from the Work/Life office at the meeting.

We are still working out the kinks in our final database so this message will be
sent out to three different lists: the GSAS list, our parentsgroup list, and the
manual list which was first assembled several months ago.  Apologies to everyone
who gets this three times!  We want to make sure that everyone who is interested
is notified.  We also strongly encourage you to send this message to anyone else
you know with kids at Harvard, in any school.   Due to the recent controversy
about women in math and science in elite universities, and the directly related
issue of the impact of parenthood--especially, it seems, motherhood--on academic
careers, as well as the awareness here of the recent grad student strikes at
Columbia and Yale where one of the primary issues was health insurance for
dependents, the time seems politically ripe for a very activist approach to
grad student and post-doc parenting issues.  We are looking forward to seeing
how much we can accomplish!

If you cannot attend but want copies of the mission statement and goals, please
let me know and we will make sure you get it.

See you on Sunday, May 1....Tonya, Ryan and Christine (wenc at fas.harvard.edu)