[HTROCSC-Ann.] FW: [Postdocs] FW: July Mentoring Workshop - Scientific Writing

Chao-Min Cheng ccheng at gmwgroup.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 13 20:38:15 EDT 2010

FYI...

Chao-Min
post-doc. working with GMW

________________________________

From: postdocs-bounces at chem.harvard.edu on behalf of Joe Lavin
Sent: Tue 7/13/2010 4:21 PM
To: CCB gradstudents; postdocs
Cc: Tamara Brenner
Subject: [Postdocs] FW: July Mentoring Workshop - Scientific Writing

Dear all,

Please see below for an announcement about a mentoring workshop from the Life Sciences Education Office.

Best,

Joe

------

The Life Sciences Education Office is holding a series of workshops for postdoctoral fellows and graduate students who are mentoring undergraduates in the laboratory or field.  Our next mentoring workshop, which will be held on Thursday, July 22, will focus on scientific writing.  Undergraduate researchers write about science for a variety of reasons, including fellowship and thesis proposals, final papers for research courses, senior theses, and poster presentations.  How can you mentor students to write clearly write about complicated scientific concepts, without writing or revising for them?  We will explore this topic through discussions of several case studies.  We also encourage participants to bring their own stories about helping students with writing projects.

Cheryl Vaughan, Lecturer on Molecular and Cellular Biology, will help facilitate this workshop.  Cheryl leads thesis writing workshops for undergraduates in several life sciences concentrations and mentors thesis writers at the Harvard Extension School.

The July 22 workshop will be held in BioLabs Room 1058 from 12:00 to 1:30 pm.  Please bring a bag lunch; we will provide dessert.  If you are interested in joining us on July 22, please email Tamara at tamara_brenner at harvard.edu

---

Tamara Brenner, Ph.D.
Associate Director of Life Sciences Education
Lecturer on Molecular and Cellular Biology
Harvard University
16 Divinity Ave., Room 1087
Cambridge, MA 02138

(617) 384-7525