[hcs-d] APPLY! Jane Street 4-day program in NYC

Yuna Joung joung at college.harvard.edu
Sat Oct 15 12:31:19 EDT 2016

[image: Inline image 1] <https://www.janestreet.com/apply-insight/>

This January, we're excited to host the first INSIGHT program at Jane Street
<https://www.janestreet.com/>. We're inviting women to spend four days in
our New York City headquarters to learn more about what we do and how we do
it through a series of trading or programming classes and activities.
Attendees will receive an in-depth look into the ways we use math and
computer science, as well as insight into the different roles that exist
within our firm.

Selected students will arrive in New York the evening of January 2nd and
will depart the evening of January 6th. Jane Street will provide all travel
to and from New York, housing, a variety of social events throughout the
week and a $500 stipend. Our office is located in Brookfield Place
<https://brookfieldplaceny.com/> and the hotel where you’ll be staying is
just a few blocks from the office.

Students who participate in the trading program will learn about
mathematical and financial topics such as probability, market structure,
and arbitrage through a combination of short classroom lectures, group
games, and mock trading sessions. There will be a main curriculum of core
subjects, with flexibility to explore alternative areas of interest for
those already familiar with a given topic. These activities are structured
to provide a foundation for and a broad overview of our work, and there
will be plenty of opportunities for close interaction with our traders.

Students selected for the software development program will have two tracks
to choose from for the week. In one track, participants will learn the
fundamentals of building electronic trading systems, and we will work with
you to write a program that trades on a simulated stock exchange.
Participants in the other track will focus on learning more about OCaml and
the libraries and tools that we use in our everyday work, putting them to
use by writing the backend and UI for a computer game. Both tracks will
involve a combination of classroom lectures, group games and exercises, and
one-on-one mentorship.

Application Process

Women interested in attending should apply here
<https://www.janestreet.com/apply-insight/> to be considered for a spot in
the program. Soon after applying, you’ll receive an invitation to complete
a puzzle or coding challenge based on which group you applied for.

The deadline to apply for this event is Friday, October 21st. If you have
any questions, please don't hesitate to email JSINSIGHT at janestreet.com.

Good luck with the application process and we hope to meet you soon!

*About Jane Street*

Jane Street is a quantitative trading firm that uses innovative technology,
a scientific approach, and a deep understanding of markets to guide our
business. We are a global liquidity provider and market maker. With offices
in New York, London and Hong Kong, we operate around the clock and around
the globe.

Founded in 2000, Jane Street employs over 500 people. We are always
recruiting top students and the environment at Jane Street is open,
informal, intellectual and fun. The dress code is casual, the kitchen is
stocked and discussions are always lively. Teaching and learning are
central activities through classes, mentoring and discussion.