[hcs-d] VMWare?

Joshua Kroll kroll at cs.princeton.edu
Thu Jul 5 15:47:55 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Amy Tai <atai at college.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I'm doing some
> kernel profiling which I think (correctly or not) would be more accurate in
> VMWare. VirtualBox suffices for now though.

I'm curious about this because I don't have much experience with
kernel-level profiling but I will have to do some in the next few
months. VirtualBox is open source and so has the advantage that you
can/should be able to see the bottlenecks if you're really very
concerned about that kind of overhead. By contrast, VMware is going to
be a black box to you.

Anyway, if you use a hardware-supported virtual machine, the overhead
from either one should be ~0 most of the time anyway, right? That is,
at least, how I understand hardware-supported virtualization: the only
overhead comes from multiplexing hardware access and from running
things in the hypervisor. But I am most certainly not an expert in
this area.