[hcs-d] hcs-discuss Digest, Vol 92, Issue 11

Jackson Kernion jkernion at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 29 14:02:39 EDT 2011


I, for one, am very excited about Google+. Google+ promises to add a lot of
value with it's circles feature. My facebook feed has felt spammy for a long
time, and I'm someone who spends a lot of time blocking certain people and
apps from appearing in my feed. The problem is that I probably use facebook
in a different way than many of my friends. And that's okay. But on
facebook, this isn't really recognized. With Circles, Google+ makes these
kinds of distinctions a central feature of the service.

Alos, I think Facebook is ugly. Google+ looks beautiful. It's a site I might
actually WANT to spend time on, not a site I feel like I HAVE to spend time
on in order to stay up to speed.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:19 PM,
<hcs-discuss-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu>wrote:

> Send hcs-discuss mailing list submissions to
>        hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        hcs-discuss-request at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        hcs-discuss-owner at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of hcs-discuss digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Google+ (Kane Hsieh)
>   2. Re: Google+ (Jim Danz)
>   3. Re: Google+ (Weina Scott)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:13:38 -0700
> From: Kane Hsieh <kane.hsieh at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [hcs-d] Google+
> To: Weina Scott <wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu>
> Cc: HCS Discuss <hcs-discuss at hcs.harvard.edu>
> Message-ID: <BANLkTim+cLFi2kpYxamaoQv0wXdp1ggfyg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> What's wrong with ambition? Google was started by entrepreneurs as well.
>
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Weina Scott <
> wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu
> > wrote:
>
> > But why are they doing encyclopedias? and now social networking to
> compete
> > with Facebook? O and the free phone calls? They want to dominate the
> entire
> > world wide web that's why. Google wants to be number 1 at EVERYTHING.
> >
> > So unfortunate for the entrepreneur.
> >
> > I mean it is perfectly understandable since they are business, and they
> are
> > trying to remain hip or whatever. But it is upsetting to me.
> >
> > Weina
> >
> >
> > On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Sami Majadla wrote:
> >
> > just to play devil's advocate - they also do happen to employ tens of
> > thousands of people... most of whom i'm sure really appreciate their
> jobs.
> >
> > also, in looking at knol right now, it looks nothing like wikipedia. i
> > don't think it was ever really meant to compete with that market, but
> that
> > view's based entirely off of under a minute of looking at the site.
> >
> > sami
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Weina Scott <
> > wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Well I was exaggerating there. I just don't' get why Google is bent on
> >> competing in EVERY area possible. They are making it so hard for
> >> entrepreneurs to compete. I mean Wikipedia has the whole people
> encyclopedia
> >> thing down. But no! Google was not pleased and released Knol. For what
> >> reason? No idea why since NO ONE uses it. I can go on and on.
> >>
> >> just saying,
> >> Weina
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Jeremy Cushman wrote:
> >>
> >> I think "stick to search" is a bit strong, considering I use Gmail,
> Google
> >> Talk, YouTube and Google Maps regularly, and that their mobile OS has
> been
> >> the only serious competition for the iPhone.
> >>
> >> Jeremy
> >>
> >> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Weina Scott <
> wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't understand why the "do all good" company is so bent on competing
> >> in every arena possible. I mean come on. Stick to search.
> >>
> >> Weina
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Jeremy Cushman wrote:
> >>
> >> It was boring, but that's because I had two "friends" on it (or whatever
> >> they're called) so there was nothing to see.  I don't see a reason to
> start
> >> using it instead of Facebook.
> >>
> >> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Ted Pak < <tpak at fas.harvard.edu>
> >> tpak at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >>  <https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st><
> https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st>
> >> https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st
> >>
> >> Thoughts on Google's latest attempt at social?  Anybody here try it out
> >> yet?  Current or ex-FB employees willing to say it's meh?
> >>
> >> It seems like early press is quite positive--that's already an
> improvement
> >> over Buzz.
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> hcs-discuss mailing list
> >> <hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu>hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >>  <https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss>
> >> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> hcs-discuss mailing list
> >> <hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu>hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> hcs-discuss mailing list
> >> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > hcs-discuss mailing list
> > hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/pipermail/hcs-discuss/attachments/20110629/b7aa3afc/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:14:03 -0400
> From: Jim Danz <danz at fas.harvard.edu>
> Subject: Re: [hcs-d] Google+
> To: Ted Pak <tpak at fas.harvard.edu>
> Cc: HCS Discuss <hcs-discuss at hcs.harvard.edu>
> Message-ID: <BANLkTi=POizPDdwoUKOe5hUMoVfcWX-HVQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Ted Pak <tpak at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> > https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st
> > Thoughts on Google's latest attempt at social? ?Anybody here try it out
> yet?
> > ?Current or ex-FB employees willing to say it's meh?
> Sign me up (if ex-intern counts as ex-employee).  Google+ is meh
> because it's basically Facebook.*  The only difference is that the way
> you connect to people is more confusing.
>
> > I had two "friends" on it (or whatever they're called)
> Case in point.  Even if they weren't up against the challenge of a
> world whose mental model of social networks and their vocabulary comes
> from Facebook, they'd still face the fact that there isn't even a
> natural noun.  Circle-members?  What?  And honestly, I want to go
> ahead and say that they got it wrong with the asymmetry.  It's more
> complicated to understand (see: Datamatch's move from asymmetric to
> symmetric matches, Hoon et al 2010) and doesn't allow for effort
> re-use (one person makes a group and everyone in it benefits).
>
> Comedy over-the-top complaint: Say you heard about Google+ verbally.
> You might think it's "Google +".  Well, if you Google "Google +",
> you're just Googling Google.  Looks like + is either not supported or
> not interpreted as a literal character, but I give them credit that
> they at least hardcoded "Google+" to work.
>
> Serious complaint: Google is the way that I get things done online,
> whether that's emails that need to go out, or searches that need to
> happen.  I really, really, really, don't ever want a glyph showing me
> how many "Notifications"** I have from my Circle-members.  That's
> where I think that Google is coming close to being a bit evil with
> this.  If us using their tools for productivity rather than
> socializing isn't profitable enough for them, they go make them social
> so we'll be more engaged?  I don't want to be engaged by my search
> engine.  I want it to take me to the answers that I want.
>
> Just saw Joe's note.  Agreed on principle that FB could use some
> healthy competition.  But it'd be nice for that competition to smell
> less like a clone.  And, yeah, apart from the fact that Google will
> have to be more conservative with privacy because they're a bigger
> company and have blown this in the past, I see no reason to find this
> less evil than FB.
>
> * Well,
> * they're probably called something other than notifications to
> minimize literal FB copying
>
>
> > It seems like early press is quite positive--that's already an
> improvement
> > over Buzz.
> > Ted
> > _______________________________________________
> > hcs-discuss mailing list
> > hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:18:59 -0400
> From: Weina Scott <wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu>
> Subject: Re: [hcs-d] Google+
> To: Kane Hsieh <kane.hsieh at gmail.com>
> Cc: HCS Discuss <hcs-discuss at hcs.harvard.edu>
> Message-ID: <6AABD4CA-6875-463B-99BC-717BA09D3ECA at college.harvard.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I'm just pointing the downside to their ambition. They are making it
> hard for startups to compete because they are bent on dominating every
> arena. Poor Skype, I'm so sorry but Google now offers free phone calls.
>
>
>  Weina
>
>
>
> On Jun 29, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Kane Hsieh wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with ambition? Google was started by entrepreneurs as
> > well.
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Weina Scott <
> wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu
> > > wrote:
> > But why are they doing encyclopedias? and now social networking to
> > compete with Facebook? O and the free phone calls? They want to
> > dominate the entire world wide web that's why. Google wants to be
> > number 1 at EVERYTHING.
> >
> > So unfortunate for the entrepreneur.
> >
> > I mean it is perfectly understandable since they are business, and
> > they are trying to remain hip or whatever. But it is upsetting to me.
> >
> > Weina
> >
> >
> > On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Sami Majadla wrote:
> >
> >> just to play devil's advocate - they also do happen to employ tens
> >> of thousands of people... most of whom i'm sure really appreciate
> >> their jobs.
> >>
> >> also, in looking at knol right now, it looks nothing like
> >> wikipedia. i don't think it was ever really meant to compete with
> >> that market, but that view's based entirely off of under a minute
> >> of looking at the site.
> >>
> >> sami
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Weina Scott <
> wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu
> >> > wrote:
> >> Well I was exaggerating there. I just don't' get why Google is bent
> >> on competing in EVERY area possible. They are making it so hard for
> >> entrepreneurs to compete. I mean Wikipedia has the whole people
> >> encyclopedia thing down. But no! Google was not pleased and
> >> released Knol. For what reason? No idea why since NO ONE uses it. I
> >> can go on and on.
> >>
> >> just saying,
> >> Weina
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Jeremy Cushman wrote:
> >>
> >>> I think "stick to search" is a bit strong, considering I use
> >>> Gmail, Google Talk, YouTube and Google Maps regularly, and that
> >>> their mobile OS has been the only serious competition for the
> >>> iPhone.
> >>>
> >>> Jeremy
> >>>
> >>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Weina Scott <
> wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu
> >>> > wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I don't understand why the "do all good" company is so bent on
> >>>> competing in every arena possible. I mean come on. Stick to search.
> >>>>
> >>>> Weina
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Jeremy Cushman wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> It was boring, but that's because I had two "friends" on it (or
> >>>>> whatever they're called) so there was nothing to see.  I don't
> >>>>> see a reason to start using it instead of Facebook.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Ted Pak <tpak at fas.harvard.edu>
> >>>>> wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>>> https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Thoughts on Google's latest attempt at social?  Anybody here
> >>>>>> try it out yet?  Current or ex-FB employees willing to say it's
> >>>>>> meh?
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> It seems like early press is quite positive--that's already an
> >>>>>> improvement over Buzz.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Ted
> >>>>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>>>> hcs-discuss mailing list
> >>>>>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >>>>>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >>>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>>> hcs-discuss mailing list
> >>>>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >>>>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >>>>
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> hcs-discuss mailing list
> >> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> >> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > hcs-discuss mailing list
> > hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> > https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
> >
> >
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/pipermail/hcs-discuss/attachments/20110629/33b5f565/attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> hcs-discuss mailing list
> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>
>
> End of hcs-discuss Digest, Vol 92, Issue 11
> *******************************************
>



-- 
Jackson Kernion
Harvard Class of 2012
Degree Candidate in Philosophy MBB

jacksonkernion at gmail.com
724.816.2396
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/pipermail/hcs-discuss/attachments/20110629/bb99320a/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the hcs-discuss mailing list