[hcs-d] Google+

Joshua Kroll kroll at cs.princeton.edu
Wed Jun 29 13:36:16 EDT 2011


I agree with Jim. There are literally thousands if not millions of
unfilled niches that could birth a successful company with the right
entrepreneur. The fact that big companies are competing in some of
these areas (or even that small companies are competing in some of
these areas) doesn't really diminish the available opportunity.

Indeed, Google, Microsoft, and the like probably provide a huge
incentive for new entrepreneurs, since they provide billions of
dollars worth of buy-outs. I had to laugh out loud when I saw you say
"poor Skype, since Google offers free phone calls." Clearly, if a
consumer is willing to pay for a service through Skype that Google
offers for free, that is a statement about the relative value provided
by the two products.

Indeed, how many products from huge companies do you think could stand
some competition? How many Microsoft products or Oracle products or
IBM products have birthed very successful me-too-but-better startups?
Google itself was started to compete with large and powerful
incumbents.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Jim Danz <danz at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Weina,
>
> If you think that established companies should yield their competitive
> advantage in favor of helping new entrepreneurs, I cannot help but
> prolong this flame-war and publicly insist that you are dead, dead
> wrong.
>
> Entrepreneurship is about doing something that the Big Company can't do.
>
> Jim
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Weina Scott
> <wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> It is called being greedy, just saying.
>> W
>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 1:18 PM, Weina Scott wrote:
>>
>> I'm just pointing the downside to their ambition. They are making it hard
>> for startups to compete because they are bent on dominating every arena.
>> Poor Skype, I'm so sorry but Google now offers free phone calls.
>>
>>  Weina
>>
>>
>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Kane Hsieh wrote:
>>
>> What's wrong with ambition? Google was started by entrepreneurs as well.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Weina Scott
>> <wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> But why are they doing encyclopedias? and now social networking to compete
>>> with Facebook? O and the free phone calls? They want to dominate the entire
>>> world wide web that's why. Google wants to be number 1 at EVERYTHING.
>>> So unfortunate for the entrepreneur.
>>> I mean it is perfectly understandable since they are business, and they
>>> are trying to remain hip or whatever. But it is upsetting to me.
>>>
>>> Weina
>>>
>>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:55 PM, Sami Majadla wrote:
>>>
>>> just to play devil's advocate - they also do happen to employ tens of
>>> thousands of people... most of whom i'm sure really appreciate their jobs.
>>> also, in looking at knol right now, it looks nothing like wikipedia. i
>>> don't think it was ever really meant to compete with that market, but that
>>> view's based entirely off of under a minute of looking at the site.
>>> sami
>>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Weina Scott
>>> <wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Well I was exaggerating there. I just don't' get why Google is bent on
>>>> competing in EVERY area possible. They are making it so hard for
>>>> entrepreneurs to compete. I mean Wikipedia has the whole people encyclopedia
>>>> thing down. But no! Google was not pleased and released Knol. For what
>>>> reason? No idea why since NO ONE uses it. I can go on and on.
>>>> just saying,
>>>> Weina
>>>>
>>>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Jeremy Cushman wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I think "stick to search" is a bit strong, considering I use Gmail,
>>>> Google Talk, YouTube and Google Maps regularly, and that their mobile OS has
>>>> been the only serious competition for the iPhone.
>>>> Jeremy
>>>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Weina Scott <wnscott11 at college.harvard.edu>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I don't understand why the "do all good" company is so bent on competing
>>>> in every arena possible. I mean come on. Stick to search.
>>>> Weina
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Jeremy Cushman wrote:
>>>>
>>>> It was boring, but that's because I had two "friends" on it (or whatever
>>>> they're called) so there was nothing to see.  I don't see a reason to start
>>>> using it instead of Facebook.
>>>>
>>>> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Ted Pak <tpak at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> https://plus.google.com/up/start/?sw=1&type=st
>>>> Thoughts on Google's latest attempt at social?  Anybody here try it out
>>>> yet?  Current or ex-FB employees willing to say it's meh?
>>>> It seems like early press is quite positive--that's already an
>>>> improvement over Buzz.
>>>> Ted
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> hcs-discuss mailing list
>>>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>>>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> hcs-discuss mailing list
>>>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>>>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> hcs-discuss mailing list
>>>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>>>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> hcs-discuss mailing list
>>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> hcs-discuss mailing list
>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> hcs-discuss mailing list
>> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
>> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> hcs-discuss mailing list
> hcs-discuss at lists.hcs.harvard.edu
> https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/hcs-discuss
>


More information about the hcs-discuss mailing list