[hcs-d] learning C++

Greg Brockman gdb at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 6 12:48:30 EDT 2011

I learned C++ from the 1990 edition of the Annotated C++ Reference
Manual (http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-C-Reference-Manual/dp/0201514591).

It's not for everyone.  It's probably not for most people in fact -
it's really an implementor's guide.  But it also goes through the
language semantics, design decisions (including pointing out those
where C++ chose wrongly), and gives implementation hints for things
like inheritance.  The biggest downside is that, being a language
reference, it has no information on the STL.

I feel that most "learn a new language" books I've read try to teach
both the language *and* general programming at the same time - but at
some point, you really just want the former.  Highly recommend this
book to anyone who is looking for the former to an extreme.

- gdb