[hcs-d] TALK: Irregular Parallelism on the GPU: Algorithms and Data Structures (John Owens from UC Davis, Thursday April 7th, 7:35 PM, Harvard Hall 104)

Nicolas Pinto pinto at mit.edu
Mon Apr 4 23:47:57 EDT 2011

Title:  Irregular Parallelism on the GPU: Algorithms and Data Structures

Speaker:  John Owens (UC Davis, Electrical and Computer Engineering)

Date: 4-7-2011
Time: 7:35 PM
Location: Harvard Hall 104 (http://j.mp/icUlNw)

Harvard CS264 2011 Guest Lecture Series
"Massively Parallel Computing" Course
http://www.cs264.org
Host: Nicolas Pinto (Harvard, MIT)

Abstract:

The computational power of GPUs, coupled with advances in its
programmability, is making the GPU an increasingly compelling platform
for high-performance computing. In this talk I'll discuss some of our
recent research results in supporting *irregular parallelism* on the
GPU. While GPUs are particularly good at regular, structured codes,
it's still a large challenge to efficiently support more irregular
data structures and algorithms. I'll talk about our recent work in
task queuing, hash tables, fragment compositing, and multi-GPU
MapReduce, and also touch on some of the research problems I'd like to
address going forward.

Speaker biography:

John Owens is an associate professor of electrical and computer
engineering at the University of California, Davis, where he leads a
research group with a focus on parallel computing, concentrating on
fundamental primitives and applications on the GPU. He is also one of
the lead developers of the popular CUDPP GPU computing library. At UC
Davis, he earned the Department of Energy Early Career Principal
Investigator Award (2004), an NVIDIA Teaching Fellowship (2006), and
his department's Graduate Student Association Award for Graduate
Teaching and Mentorship (2009). He is a PI in both the DOE's SciDAC
Institute for Ultrascale Visualization and in the new Intel Science
and Technology Center for Visual Computing. John earned his Ph.D. in
electrical engineering in 2003 from Stanford University and his B.S.
in electrical engineering and computer sciences in 1995 from the
University of California, Berkeley.

--
Nicolas Pinto, PhD
http://web.mit.edu/pinto