[hcs-d] Government wiretapping

Ted Pak tpak at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 28 14:40:10 EDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Joshua Kroll wrote:

> Making the argument about how
> protocol designers and cryptographers will comply just takes the
> discussion into an esoteric world that doesn't really have a lot to do
> with the policy proposal in question (since it would apply to
> /providers of services/ and not to /technologies/)

OK, you are correct, I see in the article that "it is not clear how [the policy] could compel compliance... from a 'freeware' application developed by volunteers."  Well, that's a huge hole in this proposal isn't it.  Aren't there freeware implementations of most cryptographic and communication protocols by now?  That would seem to be all you need to work around this.  So, as long as I send GPG mail/encrypted VoIP straight to your server, and you send GPG mail/encrypted VoIP straight to mine with no intermediate service providers except the ISPs, and we both used free software, everything still seems to be legally private.

Let's hope they don't retarget the bill at the groups making freeware software.  As long as they don't do that, and focus on Google/Skype etc., this feels like the usual big gov't vs. big companies feedback loop to me.

Ted