[hcs-d] Government wiretapping

EJ Bensing ebensing at college.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 27 22:35:25 EDT 2010

As a point to clarify on Byron's interpretation of the 4th amendment. the
courts have basically ruled that anything stored in the cloud (IE. Emails,
ect.) don't require a search warrant to access. They just have to comply
with a law called the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. This means that
if companies were forced to build backdoors in their software, they could be
exploited without judicial oversight as long as that act was followed.

We were actually talking about this today in my seminar (which is on laws
relating to the internet)

Needless to say, this is an incredibly ridiculous and damaging bill. But
congress seems to be a roll lately.
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/censorship-internet-takes-center-stage-
online

-E.J. Bensing