[hcs-d] Government wiretapping

Joe Zimmerman joe at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:46:57 EDT 2010

So this news definitely ruined my morning. And, possibly, my life. If this
gets passed and holds up in court, I'm sure they will want to extrapolate
from commercial services (which is bad enough) to all software. Even odds it
would get exploited by the government overstepping its bounds before it
would get exploited by malicious attackers.

Basically, it would be like DMCA times a thousand. I really wouldn't know
what to do: move to Canada, or stage civil disobedience rallies in which
protesters multiply large numbers with paper and pencil.

That said, I wonder if the sheer ridiculosity of the proposal means it's
just a cover to distract the community from less ridiculous, but still
extremely objectionable, legislation somewhere down the pipe?

-Joe