[hcs-d] Hard Drive Failure

Zak Stone zstone at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 23:01:12 EDT 2010

If your roommate really needs the data on that drive, power it off
immediately and stop working with it. As a drive begins to fail, it is
easy to do much more serious damage by fiddling with it. (I know it's
tempting to fire up ddrescue and have a go at it yourself, but it
really isn't a good idea if you want to maximize the chances of data
recovery.)

As for places to send the drive, I have heard recommendations for
DriveSavers Data Recovery, but I have not used their services myself:

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Zak