[hcs-d] Interested in cybersecurity? Join Harvard Cyber Defense!

Byron Hood byron.hood at college.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 15 20:21:46 EDT 2010

Hi HCS!

Harvard's Cyber Defense club is going into its second year, and this time,
we're going to show everyone how to do cyber security, the Harvard way.

But in all seriousness, cyber security is an exploding field in computer
science and IT, and is considered by many to be the next major frontier both
in defense and the private sector. It's estimated that the United States
alone could employ tens, if not hundreds of thousands more qualified
computer security professionals.

What does that mean for you? Lots of fun now and a well-paid job later, in a
constantly evolving field. Big corporations and government agencies are
joining together to run cyber defense tournaments. If it's any indication of
how important cyber security is, many tournaments heavily subsidize the
travel and expenses of all contestants, and the sponsors recruit heavily
from the teams that show up. Last year, the regional competitions for the
National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition went as far as to pay for much
of the participants food.

Thank about it: would you rather work on some boring project in some boring
field, or do you want to get in on some of the most exciting,
fastest-evolving stuff happening in computers?

No mad programming skills, Unix/Linux/BSD knowledge, or security experience
is needed to join (although all are appreciated!). We do, however, expect
that members study with us during our weekly or bi-weekly meetings, aimed at
preparing us for this year's National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition
in early spring.

Send me an e-mail or show up this Saturday at 3pm at Quincy dining hall!

Byron

--
Byron Hood
Harvard College '13