[hcs-d] speed of Drupal site hosted on HCS

Andy Brody abrody at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 2 11:14:41 EDT 2010

Tracking down why drupal sites are sluggish on HCS is definitely on our
to do list. We have used memcached for *all* PHP sessions in the past,
which was indeed fast. Unfortunately, it wasn't very secure, it wasn't
redundant (we didn't have any hot spares like big companies do), and the
user support burden was too high (lots of web apps assume that
session_save_path points to a file path, not a memcached server).

Would people be interested in having memcached on the web servers just
for caching? They would be separate, per-server instances, so you
wouldn't be able to use them for session data shared across the web servers.

-Andy