[hcs-d] Connecting a Wii to Harvard Wireless Internet

Joshua Kroll kroll at cs.princeton.edu
Tue May 25 15:02:49 EDT 2010

No. It's security. Blocking certain ports is exactly using a firewall
to keep control over certain kinds of traffic. There's a default
firewall policy by VLAN. You can get a static IP on a different VLAN
on the wired network and get whatever firewall policy you want by
asking for it. They don't do this for the wireless, presumably because
sending many VLANs over the air on the same channel requires
separating them in either the time domain (creating lag for everyone)
or the frequency domain (meaning that the SSIDs would have to change).

I think that having a default, rather restrictive policy for the
average user who doesn't normally think about these things is useful.
If there are certain ports which ought to be open and aren't, then
that's another, very valid discussion. But that discussion would have
to weigh the value of the default (i.e. how many people would benefit)
against the cost (i.e. how much risk there is in opening that port,
meaning both the volume of attacks and the susceptibility of any
services that might be listening on the other side).

Josh