[hcs-d] PHP frameworks

Grant Dasher gdasher at post.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 31 15:41:32 EST 2010

The usual advantage of the framework is that it gives you a clean
separation of model and view, allowing more scalable code
organization.  They also usually come with some kind of
Object-Relational mapping system that allows you to persist objects
into your sql database without writing any data access/manipulation
code.

They also come with a template language usually, which is more
relevant in languages that don't intermix html and code, but is still
useful in languages that do (e.g. php) because the template syntax is
more lightweight and trying to mix code and rendering tends to lead to
unmaintainable codebases, so forcing the split usually leads to better
code.