[hcs-d] PHP frameworks

Ted Pak tpak at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 27 11:40:44 EST 2010

I recommend Kohana 2.x, for being the most suited for rapid development, and the best of the Rails-inspired PHP frameworks.  The documentation can be a little wanting in certain areas, so it is definitely for the more comfortable.  OTOH, the framework code is very readable, in case you ever do need to find out how something is doing its thing.  The ORM class, routing system, nested views and cascading filesystem, once understood, are quite sweet.  It also makes full use of the slickest parts of PHP5 like class autoloading and __get()/__set().

 http://kohanaframework.org/ and for 2.x docs, http://docs.kohanaphp.com/

I wouldn't recommend 3.x, since the group took it in certain directions that grind at my heart.  (But don't take my word for it, I might just be digging my feet in.)  You might want to cherry pick some handy helpers from it that should have been in 2.x, like http://kohanaframework.org/guide/api/Arr#get .

Kohana is quite capable of doing lots of AJAXy stuff.  For instance, I used it to build http://quickfuseapps.com/ , which is heavy on the AJAX and light on everything else.  Kohana strictly separates view code so you should be able to edit it separately.

Ted