[hcs-d] book for learning C

Ted Pak tpak at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 17 00:14:18 EST 2010

I have it, apparently my dad never returned it to the U of R library.

It's pretty dense, and a little dated; I think it would be better to use a more modern intro that is suited to today's programmers, for instance, one that doesn't compare things with Pascal and has source code in the C99 standard.  It takes a bit more of a top-down academic approach rather than the get-things-done approach of a O'Reilly cookbook.  For example, a lot of the exercises consist of reimplementing bits of the standard library which you will never need to do in real life, and there's an example of a malloc implementation at the end (mm, CS61?)

Well, I guess it depends on what fits your style.  I should go and get it autographed :-P

Ted