[hcs-d] FBI Backdoors in OpenBSD IPSEC?

Rareș Pamfil rares.pamfil10 at college.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 15 03:12:27 EST 2010

“Of course I don't like it when my private mail is forwarded.  However

the "little ethic" of a private mail being forwarded is much smaller

than the "big ethic" of government paying companies to pay open source

developers (a member of a community-of-friends) to insert

privacy-invading holes in software.”

This is an argument for whistleblowing, not for sharing private mail. He could have quoted from the said email without making it known who the sender was, or asked the sender for permission to forward the email, or responded to the sender inviting him to speak publicly about this information rather than spread rumours. There has to be a presumption that when you send an email to someone you know, they will not post it on their blog, even if the information is of general interest. In this particular case, I don’t feel too bad for this Gregory Perry, because he made the mistake of not writing a personal enough email. But still, I don’t approve of what “Theo” did.